CONDITIONS AND ELIGIBILITY FOR THE 2023 CREATIVE LAB OR STEMHUB PROGRAMMES
These programmes have been put together to:
• inspire and ignite a curiosity in Science/STEM
• encourage and guide academic aspirations
• uncover the fun and rewarding career pathways, that can lead to better future outcomes
The purpose of the Creative Lab and STEMHub programmes are to support our lowest decile high schools by focussing on the following priorities:
A. School attendance criteria / criteria priority
1. Pasifika / Maori students
2. Equivalent to decile 1-5 high schools in Waikato, Bay of Plenty, Rotorua & Auckland
3. All other students
As the numbers per day are limited to just 140 students there is a cap to the places available per school to 12 students. This is necessary to make sure more schools can attend.
B. Student selection criteria
As there’s a high demand and cost to these programmes, it’s really important to make sure the right students benefit. So, the following criteria will guide you on student selection:
1. Student must fit one of the top two criteria above under A
2. Science/ STEM subjects are not their strength but they show enthusiasm to learn
3. A more practical learning ability would be advantageous to them
4. They show interest in STEM career pathways and this programme would help them to explore potential opportunities.
C. Who shouldn’t you bring?
Please consider the opportunity for the students you’re selecting. We highly discourage the following:
1. Bringing students who are already high achievers in STEM subjects.
2. Bringing your school representatives, ie. only students who will project the school in a good light.
3. Bringing students for a day out. Though we know they will more than likely find something that’s interesting, this is not the purpose of the programme.
D. Programme start and finish times
This is a full day programme starting from 8.30am to 3pm. It is run from Claudelands Expo centre in Hamilton for Waikato & Bay of Plenty, or for Auckland, at the Vodafone Events Centre.
The programme commences at 9am sharp and all schools must have arrived, registered and received their goodie bags by 8.45am at the latest.
There are four sessions run throughout the day. These are lead by our Kudos Award winning scientists and STEM Industry professionals and experts. Our activities are hands-on, fun and engaging, and will test your students critical thinking and problem solving skills while having some fun!
So, if you’re committing, you need to stay until the end of the programme - because we have some cool awards, and wrap up entertainment!!
E. Expressions of interest, Registrations and numbers
1. Please send through any expressions of interest or email us with any questions.
2. Once you have registered the number of students you are bringing and this is confirmed by our team these spaces are then allocated to your school.
3. The programme costs almost $300 per student, but is FREE because of our partners, sponsors and volunteers.
4. Important: If you cancel a week out and we cannot fill the spots due to short notice OR the number of students you booked do not all turn up, your school may be charged for the absent students, so please ensure the students you are bringing can commit to the trip.
5. For schools travelling a distance we know this is tough - but it’s just one day and your students will hugely benefit! Unfortunately we can’t permit you leaving earlier than 3pm because it disrupts the programme and reduces the opportunity for others. So, if you’re committing to the programme please make arrangements with your student’s parents for a late pass! It will be a long day, but it will be worth it!
F. Travel and costs
1. We are able to contribute to travel expenses and will reimburse fair and reasonable travel costs. Please ensure you book your school van ahead of time, in which case we will pay for petrol costs to help get you here.
2. We are able to consider costs for Relief teachers on a case by case scenario to ensure teachers can bring some of their students.
G. What’s included?
1. Lunch, snacks, water and fruit for all students.
2. Lunch, Tea & coffee for all teachers
3. Transport costs and entry costs, i.e. the event is FREE!
H. What happens after?
1. We will send you surveys and hope you’ll give us some feedback to help further develop our programmes
2. We will ask teachers to nominate a Y9 or 10 student who might benefit from the Braemar Charitable Trust Scholarship - this is a $1000 scholarship to support them on their pathway to a career in Health, eg. Any career in health includes all areas of nursing, medical technology or specialist fields.
3. There are also up to 25 internships and cadetships being offered by our partner Puatala across all STEM Trades careers. This is for all Yr 11-13 students attending the programme. Please encourage your students to take the opportunity to engage with our industry employers. There are some great opportunities on offer!
When you’re registered, you will receive a confirmation and programme information. Our team will then work with you to finalise the details for travel, permission slips and dietary requirements.
We can’t wait to see you!!